Archive for February, 2013

Its working at last………!

Posted: February 22, 2013 by scottashleydwyer in Weekly feedback

This week I have loaded the Video Slimmer app on a number of Ipads for trialling with a group of students. These are the same students that were part of the trial where we couldnt send anything to Moodle as the videos were too big. I thought they would be less than enthusisatic about doing it again, but they were quite happy about it. In fact I got some feedback from my Manager that at a student rep meeting last week students from this group were talking about the concept of using the video assessment app very favourably…so thats good news.

So they:

  1. recorded their tutorial activity via the camera on the Ipad
  2. selected the video from the camera roll in the Video Slimmer app and compressed it
  3. selected the video in the video assessment app and sent it to Moodle.

It took a few minutes, but it worked and we were able to watch the videos on the big screen in the classroom. Of course the more outgoing students were keen to be on camera, but I encouraged others to present via other means, so we had numerous characters such as talking hands, Woody from Toy Story on the end of a pencil and a face drawn on a sheet of paper to convey the information.

I have been advised that I will be taking this group for Human Resources Management next term, so even though the trial will be over by then, I will be using the app for the presentations the students  have to do as part of their assessment. Now we know that we can have a window of around 4 minutes of recording this should work for this subject and the plus is that all video files go to the one spot in Moodle for me to assess.  So even though I would like the compression/loading  process to be quicker and all be part of the one app, we still have something that is now feasible to take into the classroom.

Advertisements

Testing….testing…….

Posted: February 14, 2013 by scottashleydwyer in Weekly feedback

So this week Leo has found some apps that may be of use in our mission to compress the videos before  loading onto the moodle site. I have downloaded an app called Video Slimmer from the Apple app store for 99 cents. I could not find any instructions to advise me how to use it, so after playing around for a while stumbled upon what I assume is the  process to compress.  I took a video with the camera funtion on an ipad and saved it, then picked it up from the library on the video app and sent it to moodle.  The video was just over 4 minutes long and took about 2 minutes to compress and three minutes to load onto to moodle. This is a breakthrough as before a video of that length would not load at all. However, the process is still to long I feel. There are a number of other apps that I will download and experiment with, but it looks like we are on the right track here. As I said last week this is not the ideal situation,as it would be great if  all functions could take place within one app. But it means that it looks like we can continue the trial with students – even though the videos will need to  be kept to about 5 minutes maximum in length. Caroline is keen to trial the video app again with her Gastronomy group and they are going on a food and wine tasting trip to the wine region in SA in a  few weeks so we are hoping that we can test it again there. Hope to have some more positive news to report next week…..

There is light at the end of the app tunnel!

Posted: February 8, 2013 by scottashleydwyer in Weekly feedback

I have had a meeting this week with  Leo and Kien at Bright cookie to discuss options for being able to upload bigger videos. It seems that the easist way to address the problem is to use a video editing app in conjunction with the video assessment app. This will allow the students to be really creative with the production of their assessments along with enough compression to upload to moodle.  The ideal situation would be if this was all integrated in the one app, but that may be for another trial. So Leo has identified a number of apps that may be appropriate to use and they are testing them at the moment. I am hoping that these may be ready to use in another student trial in the next week or so.

I had to explain to the group of students that eagerly made videos for me last week, that there was a technical glitch. They were disappointed that they could not see their work, but understood that they are part of a trial and that problems can be part of the process and highlight what needs to be fixed before anything like this goes live. They are still keen to work with the app and the subject I am teaching them runs for another 5 weeks, so still time to get some robust feedback from them.

More next week………