I have started this blog to maintain a weekly report for the e learning trial that we have recently won funding for. I will be writing this blog, however I am not in this alone and my colleague Bev will also be supplying me with information, ideas and inspiration to keep me on track and to also keep you all informed as to the weekly activities and outcomes that are generated by the trial.
A bit of history for those of you who are not familiar with what we are doing……
A number of months ago, Bev noticed an opportunity advertised by New Generation Technologies for Learning (NGTL) which is part of the National Vocational Education and Training (VET) E-learning Strategy.
They were calling for people who were interested in participating in a trial of new and emerging technology which would increase the VET sector capacity to facilitate new ways of learning with technology which would result in positive educational outcomes.
Bev had been speaking to Brightcookie (now our partners in this trial), who were developing an app for video assessment which runs on ipad and ipod and plugs into Moodle which we currently use here at TAFE as an online platform for learning. It seemed to us that this was the type of assessment tool that may be of interest to be included in this trial so we completed the application….and to our delight we were advised that we hade been successful.
So…here we are!
We have completed quite a lot of ground work over the past few weeks.
- We had an initial project meeting with Brightcookie, where we discussed the logistics of the project and looked at the milestones that we need to achieve. It was decided at this meeting that we were going to have a further meeting with Catriona – the Brightcookie representative in the Perth office – when she is in Adelaide to discuss methodology as she is the expert in this area.
- In the mean time we have met with the Lecturer, Angela, who has agreed to trial the app with her marketing students to discuss how we are going to introduce the concept to her students and to also confirm when the students assessments were due so we can start formalising our project plan
- We have also ordered the equipment that we need to conduct the trial – 6 Ipads and 6 Ipods, and have designed a survey instrument to use to collect our data.
- Last week we had our Blackboard induction with the other successful fundees along with the NGTL team. It was interesting to hear from others who were also involved in the trial and what their projects were about.
This short potted history bring us up to date and this week.
- We are waiting to hear back regarding a meeting time with Catriona to discuss methodolgy
- We are also waiting to hear the response from Angela’s marketing students when she asks for volunteers to participate in the trial.
- I am also meeting later in the week with a research colleague who will assist to making sure that the survey instrument I have created is robust enough to collect the appropriiate data.
So….hope eveyone has a good week and I will be back next week with some more reporting on our e learning adventure!